The mission of St. Vincent Meals on Wheels is to prepare and deliver nutritious meals to homebound seniors and other vulnerable residents across Los Angeles.
We serve anyone in need who lives within our service area, regardless of age, illness, disability, race, religion or ability to pay.
Most of our clients are too frail or ill to buy or prepare simple meals. Many struggle to live on small fixed incomes that fall below the poverty level. We are especially committed to meeting their needs.
Good nutrition and daily home visits improve the health and dignity of our clients, enabling them to remain independent in their own homes for as long as possible. Our mission has not changed since our program began in 1977.
Our values are based on respect, compassionate service, simplicity and advocacy for the poor.
We are a Roman Catholic organization of the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul driven by a mission of service to the poor in the spirit of St. Vincent.
St. Vincent Senior Citizen Nutrition Program, also known as “St. Meals on Wheels” conducts its operations and realizes management decisions using the following guiding principles:
1. Meal service is consistent, dependable and high quality
· Nutritious meals are served 7 days a week including holidays.
· Routes are planned and executed to provide as much consistency in delivery time as possible.
· The highest quality food is offered meeting the nutrition standards for Older Americans, children and others we serve.
· Meals meet or exceed the dietary guidelines set forth by all governing agencies.
2. Meal service is available to those in need using a hierarchy of need and based on program capacity.
· Primary preference is given to homebound elderly citizens within our community.
· Others who receive our services include: persons with disabilities, persons with chronic debilitating diseases, senior day care centers and poor schools.
3. Meal service is client driven.
· Every attempt is made to meet the special dietary needs of our clients.
· Clients are served with compassion, consistency and concern.
· Opportunities are sought to enhance the quality of life for our clients.
4. The health, welfare and development of our staff is a fundamental part of our mission.
· All efforts will be made to promote and develop individuals within our organization.
· St. Vincent Meals on Wheels is an equal opportunity employer and makes no distinction based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion or creed.
· Volunteers are an integral part of our program and will augment paid staff.
5. In keeping with the Catholic tradition, spiritual celebrations and practices are planned throughout the year.
· All are invited to participate; however, attendance is not required.